Varun Sharma on working with SRK-Kajol

Varun Sharma never fails to tickle the funny bones of the audience whenever he appears on screen. After leaving the moviegoers in splits in the Kapil Sharma starrer Kis Kisko Pyaar Karu, the maverick actor is all set for his next multi-starrer Dilwale, which also features Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Varun Dhawan and Kriti Sanon among others. As Varun prepares himself up for the release of his big-ticket film, he speaks to Bollywood & TV Reporter Mohnish Singh over the phone and shares his experience of working in Dilwale. Here are the excerpts:

COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER IN DILWALE?
I play this character whose name is Siddhu in the film. Basically, his real name is Siddhartha, but people affectionately call him Siddhu. He is best friend with Veer (Varun Dhawan). He and Siddhu have been brought up together. They do all the mischievous things together. They do all the good things together. Both of them once land into trouble and how they come out of it is what you will see in the film. His (Varun’s) elder brother is Raj Bhaiya (Shah Rukh Khan). So the entire plot is about how, you know, Veer and Siddhu try to sort out some stuff in Raj Bhaiya’s life also and how he kind of helps in our love stories. So, the basic plot is something like that.
HOW DID YOU GET THIS FILM?
I was shooting for Kis Kisko Pyaar Karu in Rajasthan when I got a call from Rohit sir’s office. The guy told me there is a role for me and that there are Shah Rukh, Kajol, Varun and Kriti also in the film. I was really excited. On the very next day, I was shooting for an ad campaign with Shah Rukh sir. Even he mentioned that he was making a film called Dilwale and that he wanted me to be a part of it. I told him that I have already got a call from Rohit sir’s office and was just going to meet him only. He said go and meet him fast. So when I went, I met him (Rohit Shetty) and I really liked my part. I loved the story.
SHAH RUKH KHAN & KAJOL ARE KNOWN AS THE ICONIC COUPLE OF BOLLYWOOD. HOW WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH THEM?
It was one of the best experiences anyone could ever have. And to be very honest, for the past nine months it looked like as if I have been living a dream. I got into acting because of Shah Rukh sir. I saw him in Baazigar and since then I wanted to get into acting. So working with a person who inspired you, who put that dream in your head is the best feeling ever. On the top of it, there is a lot which I have learnt from both Shah Rukh sir and Kajol ma’am. Like whenever Shah Rukh sir comes to the set he keeps rehearsing his lines in so many different manners, in so many different aspects and then he chooses the best among them to perform on screen. I think the passion with which he works must have grown from the start, and that is what which motivated me and Varun also while doing our scenes.
YOU ARE WORKING WITH ROHIT SHETTY FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME. SO, HOW IS HE AS A DIRECTOR?
It is a dream for any actor to be directed by Mr. Rohit Shetty. I think the best part about him that he gives a lot of space and freedom to his actors. It is very nice of him. Moreover, I think while working on Dilwale I have done a PhD in films, because I have got to learn so many aspects of filmmaking. Rohit sir does best action in the industry, everyone knows that. So how that process is done and what all goes into the preparation of doing those action sequences is what I learnt from Rohit sir.
YOU ARE PLAYING BESTIE TO VARUN. HOW WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH HIM?
Working with Varun was an experience full of madness. I thing we both bonded really very well from the beginning and right now, I think, he is the closest friend that I have in the industry and Bombay. I think he is a fantastic actor. And again he is so hard working that is unbelievable. I think the passion and the hard work that man puts in is amazing. On top of that, I think he is a very fun guy to be with. He keeps the atmosphere on the entire set very light and whatever is there in his heart, his face reflects the same. He does think a lot before speaking. He speaks from his heart. I think that is the best quality he has.
IN DILWALE, YOU HAVE WORKED WITH ONE KHAN OF THE KHAN TRIO OF BOLLYWOOD. WHO IS THE NEXT KHAN ON YOUR WISH LIST THAT YOU WANT TO WORK WITH?
Given a chance, honestly speaking, I would love to work with Shah Rukh sir again. I want to do with him as many films as I can, because he is an inspiration to me. But I would also like to gain experience of working with Salman sir and Aamir sir.
AS WE ALL KNOW THAT DILWALE IS GOING TO CLASH WITH BAJIRAO MASTANI ON 18TH OF DECEMBER. SO HOW DO YOU SEE THIS CLASH? WHAT IS YOUR COMMENT ON THAT?
I think Dilwale…trailer is also looking very nice. Of course, I am also a huge Sanjay sir’s fan. I really wish both the films do really well and people go and watch them. That’s all.
WHAT ARE YOUR UPCOMING PROJECTS?
There are things which I have been working upon, but I have not signed anything. As of now nothing is contracted, but verbal commitment is done. There is a film which I will start shooting for early next year. It’s titled Tafri. It’s being directed by the Dolly Ki Doli director Abhishek Dogra. It’s again set in the north part of the country and is a romcom.

Comments

Popular Posts